Best Non Running Aerobic Training Circuits For Boxing And MMA Contralateral Aerobic Circuit

Substitute your long runs and road work with this contralateral aerobic training circuit for 2 to 3 weeks. I am not insinuating that you should eliminate long distance running from your training routine, but this workout is a great alternative to that type of aerobic activity and in many cases a better option. If you are a fighter that has issues with overtraining syndrome this can be one cure! After a few weeks, you should feel refreshed and recovered and your joints spared from all the pounding and rigors of traditional roadwork training.
Continuous overtraining can lead to performance drop, lack of motivation and ultimately physical injuries with big time setbacks in training.
Take note, that light to moderate resistance is used with each exercise. If you do not have an experienced background with resistance training, you may want to begin the program using only your body weight and then gradually add resistance. Remember: your form and technique is EVERYTHING! It should minimally be sacrificed during training. The rubber bands demonstrated in the video can be adjusted to suit your strength level as they can be purchased in a variety of different strength resistances.
If you have questions, and I’m sure you will, please leave me a comment or two!
Click the link at the bottom of this description for entire workout details and instructions!
Good luck! Coach Joe D.
** Like many good strength and conditioning coaches, we learn from other great coaches and we take the good qualities of their methods and philosophies and apply it to our own training. We “tweak” it as necessary to best fit our own personal needs, which in our case are boxing, mixed martial arts and other combat style sporting activities.
** Cal Dietz is a renowned strength and conditioning coach whose work I admire and emulate quite often because his training philosophy works! Please check out his book “Triphasic Training”
Click the link for video details and instructions!
Good luck! Coach Joe D.

click here:

7 Comments

1. oldknight012 says:

I will try this and let you know how it goes!

• Coach Joe D. says:

Yes .it can be used in most cases before a fight, but I like to work on more fight specific things close to a fight. Like more sparring activities and technical things.

• oldknight012 says:

I understand that, it was general question. thanks 🙂

• Coach Joe D. says:

It can be used at any point in the training cycle, but only for a maximum of 3 weeks consecutively. Running is still important, but typically not the type of long distance running we have been taught. Example would be use it for a few weeks and then run and sprint work for a few weeks and then revisit the aerobic circuit again. Remember there are exceptions to all training programs and much of this depends on the individuals (the athlete’s) circumstances. Whenever I am asked a general question It is followed by a general,answer due to the fact that I do not know your entire training plan and lifestyle. The more I know the athlete, the more specific I can begin to answer the questions!

• oldknight012 says:

should this type of training be used shortly before a fight?

• Coach Joe D. says:

Yes! It is effective and you will get results. Keep me posted!

2. Coach Joe D. says:

Substitute your long runs and road work with this contralateral aerobic training circuit for 2 to 3 weeks. I am not insinuating that you should eliminate long distance running from your training routine, but this workout is a great alternative to that type of aerobic activity and in many cases a better option. If you are a fighter that has issues with overtraining syndrome this can be one cure! After a few weeks, you should feel refreshed and recovered and your joints spared.
    If you have questions, and I’m sure you will, please leave me a comment!